Study Permit

Want to study in Canada? We counsel and assist you.

Start your Free Assessment

A Canadian study permit gives you the permission to reside in Canada, for a temporary period if you wish to enroll yourself in any of the educational institutes in the country. How long you may stay in Canada depends upon the duration of the course that you have taken or intend to take.

Study permits are temporary visas, which means you will not be able to stay after your course is concluded until you have made a fresh application to extend your stay, giving a valid reason for the same.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for the Canadian study permits, you must:

  • Produce the letter of acceptance from an educational institution in Canada
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds for paying tuition fees and supporting you till the time they stay in the country
  • Satisfy the immigration officer interviewing them that you intend to visit Canada to study and will leave the country at the end of the study course
  • Have no criminal records
  • Be in good health and undergo a medical check
  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada in any way
  • Produce enough evidences to show your ties with your home country
  • Undergo police and background checks


Once your application is approved, you are entitled to:

  • Study in the country
  • Explore Canadian landscapes
  • Take on-campus employment throughout the course duration to earn money towards tuition on expenses
  • Apply for post graduation work visa, which allows you to remain in the country for up to three years
  • Apply for permanent residence in Canada

In addition, your spouse is also eligible to work temporarily in Canada.

A study permit is not required when you:

  • Take a language (English or French) training course in the country for up to three months
  • Are the spouse or dependent child
  • Are a diplomat or a consular officer
  • Are a representative of a foreign country
  • Are a representative of the United Nations
  • Are a member of any governmental organization of which Canada is a member

Extending Your Study Permit

You can apply to extend your stay in Canada at least one month or 30 days before your current status expires. You will need to fill form IMM 129 – Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

You will only be provided an extension on your visa only if you are able to produce a solid and genuine reason for the same.

Why Hire SPS Canada to Help You with Your Study Permit?

Canada is home to a number of globally recognized universities, colleges and educational institutes. Not only is it an amazing life changing experience for any student to study in Canada but the country is considered to have the highest standards of education.

Thousands of students migrate to Canada on temporary basis for education purposes. In such a scenario, it becomes difficult to get an approval on your application. Moreover, you may not be familiar with the rules and regulations and terms and conditions posed by the Canadian Immigration Authority.

We have more than a decade of experience in offering consultancy to students who wish to study in Canada. We understand what it takes to get an approval on your application. we help you at every stage right from assessing your eligibility to file an application, take care of documentation and keep a track on its status.

When you seek our assistance, you can be assured of a smooth navigation and quick processing of your application. Take our free online immigration eligibility assessment now. We shall get back to you in 1 business day.