Canadian Study Permits
A foreign national who is enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, needs to obtain a study permit. A study permit is a temporary status document allows the foreign national to study in Canada for a limited period of time. This document must be applied before travelling to Canada. A student permit holder cannot travel on this document, he/she must have a visa in order to return back to Canada.
- To become eligible for Study Permit, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Letter of Acceptance: The applicant must provide a letter of acceptance from a designated educational institution in Canada.
- Funds: The applicant must attach proof of funds which are enough to pay the tuition fees and support himself/herself during the course of study.
- Purpose of stay: The applicant must have a clear purpose of studying in Canada and must satisfy the immigration officer that he/she will leave the country within the study permit’s validity.
- Background: The applicant must not have any criminal records in order to obtain a study permit.
- Medically Fit: The applicant must be in good health and must undergo a medical check before travelling to Canada.
- Some international students who are legal residents of China, India, the Philippines, or Vietnam can apply under the Student Direct Stream. In order to apply under this stream, the applicant must provide the following documents:
- a copy of your acceptance letter from a designated learning Institute
- a copy of your upfront medical exam confirmation document
- proof that you have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000
- proof that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study, and
- proof that you graduated from a Canadian curriculum high school or a language test form showing a score of at least 6 for English (International English Language Testing System), or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens score of at least 7 for French (Test d’évaluation de français)
- If the application doesn’t meet the criteria under this stream, the application will be processed under regular study permit process.
- Generally, a study permit is valid up to the length of the study program in which the applicant is enrolled, with extra 90 days for you to prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.
- In case you are not able to finish your course before the study permit expires, you must apply for an extension of your study permit before expiration of your current permit.
- In case you finish your study early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit). The completion date could either be the date when you receive a notification from your school, or get a degree, diploma or certificate.
- In case the study permit is expiring, and the applicant may apply to extend his/her stay in Canada, if the circumstance warrants. The extension will be granted only if the application is supported by a genuine reason.
- The application to extend the study permit must be made at least one month or 30 days before the current status expires. You will need to fill out the form IMM 129 – Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.
- If you are coming to Canada for a short-term study (six months or less)
- If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force in Canada on official duties
- If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada
- Minor children, in some situations
Canada is home to several globally recognized universities, colleges and educational institutes. Not only is it an amazing life changing experience for any student to study in Canada but the country is considered to have the highest standards of education.
Thousands of students migrate to Canada on temporary basis for their education purposes. We hope the student coming in will quickly make at home here and enjoy the Canadian experience! it’s a wonderful country to have your economic and personal establishment. Make the most of your time here. The students will not only learn a great deal about diverse culture, but also learn a lot about themselves.
Congratulations for choosing Canada! Get involved, try new things, make mistakes, learn, grow and fly in the air that may be yours one day!
– message by Pradyuman
Get Legal Answers to Your Visa Questions
Call Us now at 1-905-362-9393View All Testimonials
Jay B Parmar